Saturday, October 16, 2010

Joe Seliga - Master Canoe Builder



Here is a photo of Joe Seliga the one time I got the honor to meet him. He was a Master Canoe Builder for most of his life up in Ely, Minnesota which is right on the border of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (bwcaw). I was helping to photograph a wedding up in Ely and he was attending the wedding. After talking to him for about 20 minutes or so I saw this empty rocking chair on the porch and asked him if I could take his picture with him in the chair. He chuckled and said Sure!

Joe died a few years back but you can read about him here.

My good friend and photographer Deborah Sussex also took all the photos for a book about Joe's canoe building. The book is titled, "The Art of the Canoe with Joe Seliga". Check it out if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment